Monday, March 30, 2015

Lesson 8 - WorldCat, CAMIO and More

This week's lesson really hurt my head, in that there was no exercise for the Advanced Challenge participants in Discovery Exercise part 1. Unfortunately, because I quickly skimmed (rather than carefully read) the lesson materials, I completed the entire portion of the Discovery Exercise part 2 using the WorldCat, instead of the OAIster database, as instructed. *bangs head on desk* It was as I was reread the instructions for question #3 on the exercise that I noticed my error. Hence, my responses from query #3 and further on are related to the correct database listed in the instructions. In the interest of trying to complete this lesson & the remainder of  the challenge on time, I shall leave my answers as is, begging the reader's forgiveness for my errors. 

Discovery Exercise part 1/Advanced Challenge - None listed

Discovery Exercise part 2 - 

1. In the "Search for:" I entered the name, Martin Luther & switched the Keyword to "Named Person". Limited it to English Language.  Limited "type" to: Books, Visual Materials, Internet Resources, Serial Publications, Archival Materials, Articles, and Continually Updated Resources. Subtype Limits changed to not Fiction. Results: oh sugar cookies! I did not use the name/word King anyplace, yet there it is, all over the map. *sigh*

I returned to the search used initially and added to the "Search for:" the limiter, "Not Martin Luther King/named person". Hallelujah! With this limiter included, I had much better results, with a total of 10390 - 8603 Books, 1114 Internet, 458 Visual, 124 Articles, 84 Archival, and 7 Serials. Given such a tremendous supply of choices, I felt it best to narrow down the prospects, so added the "Subtype limiter - Juvenile" to the search equation. This really knocked out a few choices, bringing the total to 160 available: 137 Books, 15 Internet, and 8 Visual. From this list, I began investigating the Visuals first, then the Internet, and finally, the books.

From the Visuals, I located Title: Martin Luther Author: Chamberlin, E. R Accession Number: 60756396, which is a visual material kit, which contains some great components that children of this age would love! The contents included are 

Introductory sheet (1 folded sheet) -- Copy of the ninety-five theses, printed in 1541 -- Portrait of Martin Luther, painted by Cranach in 1526 -- Reformation woodcut satirizing the nature of the church -- Letter of safe conduct issued to Luther by Emperor Charles V, to enable him to attend the Diet of Worms -- Pages from Lucas Cranach's Passional -- First and last pages of the agreement signed at the Marburg Colloquy -- Handbill attacking John Calvin -- Page from an early Lutheran hymnbook (1533) -- True and false religion, a woodcut by Cranach made about 1545 -- Broadsheets: Luther's world ;Martin Luther ; The sale of indulgences ; The Diet of Worms ; The Reformation spreads ; The Counter-Reformation.
How many kids wouldn't want to learn more about the Diet of Worms?! Anyway, this is a visual I'd love to share with young children, if I were actually a SS teacher with this goal. The closest library owning this material is the Jefferson County School District in Colorado. On to the other choices I selected...

Again, from the Visuals category, I selected another choice, a game called Diet of Worms. This game is suitable for an audience of upper elementary grades through seminary. Unfortunately, the game is not available through the SDSL. If I were to actually want the game, I'd have to borrow from an outside ILL.

Under the Internet results, I chose 6 of the results, marking each with the little box to the left of the item #. Then, I clicked on "Marked Records" to narrow down this search. From this selection, I narrowed my choice down to: The boyhood of Martin Luther ; or, The sufferings of the heroic little beggar-boy who afterwards became the great German reformer authored by Henry Mayhew. I discovered, when looking for the closest library of the 4 worldwide owners, that Google was the first listed owner so I visited Google for a quick peek. I learned the material is available in book form via GoodReads.com.  If unable to obtain a copy via the closest physical library, the Hathitrust Digital Library in Michigan, US, the SS teacher would have that option for getting a copy.

From this point, I began narrowing down the selection of books, using the previous techniques. After choosing 7 books, I then examined the date of publication, how many libraries worldwide possessed a copy and proximity of library location. Finally, I found 3 titles that met my criteria, easily done by using the "marks" tool. The titles I chose are:


1.BookMartin Luther, hero of faith.
Author: Nohl, Frederick.

Publication: Saint Louis, Concordia Pub. House 1962
Document: English : Book Juvenile audience
Libraries Worldwide: 112   (WorldCat)
2.BookThe adventures of Martin Luther /
Author: Bergt, Carolyn E.; Kirchhoff, Art.

Publication: St. Louis, MO : Concordia Pub. House, 1999
Document: English : Book Juvenile audience
Libraries Worldwide: 34   (WorldCat)
3.BookThe boy who fought with kings,
Author: Hong, Edna H. 1913-2007.; Hong, Howard V.; Ellingboe, John L.

Publication: Minneapolis, Minn., Augsburg Publishing House 1946
Document: English : Book Juvenile audience
Libraries Worldwide: 16   (WorldCat)
As the reader might notice, the closest library which owns all of these titles is the Martin Luther College in Minnesota, then the Concordia University Library in St. Paul, MN has two of the titles I selected.
 *note - the link to the Martin Luther College, MN, US is not a valid link now. When I attempted to access the college website through this database, I received the following error message: Object not found! The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error. If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmasterError 404  www.tds.sirsi.net Fri Mar 27 13:43:37 2015  Apache/2.2.27 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.27 OpenSSL/1.0.1g+

So, that limited me to obtaining a copy of The Boy Who Fought With Kings from St. Olaf College in St. Olaf, MN and the other two from Concordia University Library, as my closest libraries.

2. From Basic Search, I entered the phrase, "ge:graphic novel" and chose the limiters: Books/1368, Serials/32, Internet/21, & Archival/1 clicked search. The one title I chose to add to our collection was, happily, the third title listed. I chose Mary Shelley's Frankenstein: the graphic novel, published in 2005 by Puffin Books. I've actually begun adding graphic novels to our collection, so this exercise has been very helpful, as I'm trying to learn which titles might be available. :)

From the OAIster database:
3. I entered My Fair Lady/title phrase into the Search feature. The limits I set were Database: OAIster; All other limiters resulted in a "no records found" message. This search gave me 101 results, which I then had to sort to find the musical score, if I were to continue to limit my search, per instructions, to the OAIster database.  I searched through the database offered and found no musical scores, so I relented and included the WorldCat database in my search options. This was more profitable, as I was then allowed to include "Musical Score" into my limiters. As I perused the 73 results given, I checked possible results that depicted a "musical score" icon next to the result number. On the result #50, the title given is My Fair Lady, Vocal Score, authored by Frederick Lowe in 1969. The accession No: OCLC 604984820.

CAMIO
Discovery Exercise part 3 - Advanced Challenge

In the search feature, I entered the word, "fashion" and then removed some of the collections available in the search. I limited my collection search to the following: Albright-Knox Art Gallery; Carnegie Museum of Art; Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco; George Eastman House, International Museum of Photography; Library of Congress; Smithsonian American Art Museum; The Frick Collection and Art Reference Library; The Metropolitan Museum of Art; Victoria and Albert Museum.

From this point, I added "clothing, dress" to the search field with the "any of these words" limiter. I also, opened up the advanced search & added Victorian/title and England/description. When the results came up, I sorted first by title, then changed the Display Options: turning Quick View "on" and altering the layout options to Grid.  It's lovely to note there are so many options for one to utilize whilst digging into the great collections. This search, so far, failed to come up with the answers my student seeks, however, so I tried another approach.

I entered the words, "clothing" into the basic search for starters. With my display options set to Grid, the date of each item listed in the results is shown in each of the 161 results shown. From this point, I opened up the advanced search, to add "dress & fashion" to the subject criteria and England as Description. Another "zero" for results with this approach. *banging head on desk*  This was driving me nuts, as I continued using different limiters to simply find anything which might come close to what I was trying to locate.

Back to square one - I typed clothing into the basic search window, then opened up the "Narrow your search by: DATE" option. The first date listed, which falls into the time span of interest, is 1858 (4 results listed, but not relevant, as the 4 images were American), and the next date is 1870, which resulted in one article of clothing (Dress with Day & Evening Bodices) that fit the student's criteria. By using this method of searching, I finally was able to find the clothing/fashion from Victorian Era/British, but it certainly is a time consuming manner of searching. Each time I found something, in order to proceed, I had to "go back", click on "Date" and then hit "more" in order to see the dates. I attempted to open the various dates in another tab/window, but this only opened up blank pages. Perhaps I'm a whiner, but I can imagine how frustrating a search through CAMIO might be for the average person, if they don't have some prior knowledge to the system & how the search works. With all of the options available in the advanced search, I was disappointed to find the typical search terms one might use for this lesson were of no use (England, Victorian Era, Dickens, Dickensonian, British) even when I altered the terms Title/Description/Subject/Publisher/etc.. I learned that if I simply did a basic search, using any of the three suggested search hints (clothing/fashion/dress) and then clicked on the DATE limiter & did the one step forward, two steps back, in order to view all the appropriate dates, then I was able to locate several examples of dress/fashion back in Dickens' era.

This is a wonderful resource, but I think it could be a lot more user friendly, personally. I enjoyed seeing all of the beautiful clothing, art, artifacts, paintings, prints, photos, etc., but when a person only has a short window of time to locate the items... For the record, after spending a frustrating couple of hours trying to complete just this portion of the lesson, I did a "google search" for "Charles Dickens' Victorian Era fashion. In 0.54 seconds, there were about 238,000 results, I looked at the images and there were more than I could count, because it's time to go home. I'm just sayin'...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this fascinating post. Your WorldCat searching for the Martin Luther book was excellent--eliminating "King" and then using the sublimiters. It is so cool what you can do with a few clicks.

    And your comments on CAMIO are valid. It isn't the easiest resource to do an advanced search in. But it does have some pretty neat art.

    Thanks so much for your post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Julie. I really loved the art I could see *wish there was feel-a-vision* on CAMIO & would be happy for another excuse to visit there again. It is a great resource, so I hope my comments won't deter anyone else from investigating that wonderful online tool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Julie. I really loved the art I could see *wish there was feel-a-vision* on CAMIO & would be happy for another excuse to visit there again. It is a great resource, so I hope my comments won't deter anyone else from investigating that wonderful online tool. :)

    ReplyDelete